WADSWORTH â€” Trinity United Church of Christ will celebrate its sesquicentennial anniversary at 2 p.m. Oct. 26, with a musical prelude to begin at 1:30. The church family invites the Wadsworth community to come and celebrate with them.
The afternoon service will feature meditations provided by the Rev. Robert C. Johnson, senior minister emeritus of Trinity UCC, the Rev. Daniel J. Doty, current senior minister, and Lauren Lorincz, current student-in-care and seminary student at Andover Newton Theological Seminary, Boston, Ma. The choir and handbell choir will premiere an anthem commissioned for the occasion that was written by Ohio composer Matthew Armstrong.
A community reception will be held following this celebration.
Special guests will be the Rev. Bob Molsberry, Ohio Conference minister; David Cleaver-Bartholomew, Eastern Ohio Association minister; and Robin Laubaugh, mayor of Wadsworth. Many former staff congregation members also will attend.
Trinity Church was founded on Oct. 24, 1858.
The Rev. Schlosser came into the community about mid-summer 1858, and after about four months gathered six Reformed people and organized them into a church on Oct. 24, 1858, which was taken under the care of the Sandusky Classis. Records differ somewhat as to the place of worship during the three-year pastorate of Schlosser, but it is certain they had no place of their own and met in the homes of the members for a time.
Later, the Congregational and Disciples churches allowed them the use of their facilities.
The church began with Henry Yockey, Catherine Yockey, John C. Kraemer, Lydia Kraemer, E. K. Kraemer and Isaac Griesmer.
The founders were men and women not content to sit back and let others build a community; they made certain a church would be provided for those who worshipped with them. Those who planned and built the present sanctuary in 1914 provided a building to meet the churchâ€™s growing needs for many years.
In 1955, the congregation voted to build an educational building addition to provide classroom space, church offices, a new kitchen and fellowship hall. Classes moved into the new building in June 1958, (a $220,879 project) and the dedicatory service was made a part of the 100th anniversary celebration in October that same year.
Project 90, started in 1990 under the direction of Jan Good and completed in 1993, was dedicated to the restoration, preservation and repair of the Trinity Church building.
In 1998, with the 140th anniversary of Trinity UCC, the congregation began Project 2000 to update the kitchen for continuing the church ministry of â€œMeals on Wheels.â€ The project also allowed for replacement of windows in the educational building and extensive work in the sanctuary, as well as a reconfiguration of the church offices at a total cost for the project of about $300,000.
Trinity United Church of Christ sits at the crossroads of 150 years of active ministry. As they celebrate the saints of Trinity and their 150 years of service, they look forward to their continuing ministry to Wadsworth, Northeast Ohio and global mission fronts around the world.