BRUNSWICK HILLS TWP. — A fire destroyed a storage building containing construction equipment Thursday morning and sent smoke billowing above West 130th Street.
The fire at 2300 W. 130th St. apparently was caused by sparks from a blowtorch that lit several bales of hay on fire, township Assistant Fire Chief Tim Haas said.
“It spread real quick,” he said.
He said workers with the contracting company that leased the building were using the torch to cut a bolt off a truck.
CRC Contracting employees were mostly silent as they watched firefighters fight flames consuming the building.
“I don’t know yet” what this means for business, CRC foreman Angelo Carile said, noting business has been steady.
“It’s a bad time for this,” he said.
Carile said the barn was used as a storage facility for construction equipment.
Haas said the loss estimate was about $300,000, including $250,000 worth of equipment.
“It’s all lost,” he said.
Emergency dispatchers said the first fire call came in at 11 a.m.
“When I got on scene it was fully involved,” Haas said.
He said there are no fire hydrants in the area. Therefore, fighting the fire was delayed several minutes while water tankers were brought in and shuttled water from hydrants farther down West 130th.
Water was poured into a portable water tank, which fed the hoses that extinguished the fire. Haas said it was under control by 12:08 p.m.
Crews remained through Tuesday afternoon.
“We’re still on scene helping them salvage anything they can,” Haas said around 2:30 p.m.
Besides Brunswick Hills, Brunswick, Hinckley Township and Medina Township fire departments also responded to the fire.
Brunswick Hills and Hinckley police departments and Ohio Highway Patrol also helped at the scene.
Contact Maria Kacik at (330) 721-4049 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Print this story
Report an innappropriate comment
In order to comment, you must agree to our user agreement and discussion guidelines.
Read our user agreement and discussion guidelines ..
Need help? Email Us.