SHARON TWP. — A township woman, her 6-month-old daughter and her three dogs safely escaped their home as a fire consumed the kitchen Tuesday afternoon.
Shannon Clifton said she was cooking in the house she rents at 2448 Medina Road when the fire started just after 1 p.m.
“I put a pot of water on the stove. Within five minutes it caught fire,” she said.
She said she grabbed her daughter, Faith, and gathered her three dogs and headed out the door.
Capt. Dennis Miller of the Sharon Township Fire Department said when firefighters arrived there were flames and heavy smoke coming from the kitchen. He said it appeared the fire was contained to the kitchen and firefighters had it under control in 20 minutes.
“We got it knocked down pretty fast,” Miller said. He said food residue burning on the stove likely started the fire, which caused about $75,000 in damage.
Shortly after escaping the house, Clifton called her boyfriend and Faith’s father, Jay Tolento, at work. When he arrived home, he took his daughter in his arms and kissed her head.
Granger Township resident Ginger Short, who owns the Medina Road house, said she was happy Clifton and Faith were safe.
“I’m just glad she wasn’t upstairs with you being downstairs. I’m glad you both made it out safely,” she told Clifton.
Miller said in addition to his department, Granger, Copley, Hinckley, Medina and Seville-Guilford fire departments also responded.
Contact Maria Kacik Kula at (330) 721-4049 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Print this story
Report an innappropriate comment
In order to comment, you must agree to our user agreement and discussion guidelines.
Read our user agreement and discussion guidelines ..
Need help? Email Us.