ASHLAND — Several roads in Medina County are closed because of flooding caused by rainfall Sunday night into today and melting snow.
The Ohio Department of Transportation’s District 3 announced at 2 p.m. the roads are closed for the safety of motorists. Affected roads are:
• U.S. Route 42 between Fenn and Remsen roads in Medina Township.
• State Route 252, a half-mile north of state Route 303 in Liverpool Township.
• East Smith Road from the Medina city limits to River Styx Road in Montville Township.
• Ryan Road south of Route 42 in Medina.
• Seville Road west of Route 57 in Wadsworth.
• East Bergey Street near Silvercrest Road in Wadsworth.
State Route 57 at Lester Road in York Township was closed for most of the day but re-opened this afternoon.
When approaching a flooded road, motorists should stop and not cross, ODOT advises.
With water across the roadway, drivers cannot always determine the depth of the water or the condition of the road under the water. Six inches of moving water can knock a person down and a mere two feet of water can move a large vehicle. Road beds may be washed out under flood waters, according to ODOT.
For information on road closures, visit www.buckeyetraffic.org.
Check The Gazette online and read Tuesday’s print edition for more on this story.