April 24, 2014

Medina
Intermittent clouds
53°F

7 injured at Kent State in 1970 shooting want answers

KENT — Seven people wounded by Ohio National Guard gunfire at Kent State University 42 years ago Friday are appealing for answers to lingering questions about the shooting, such as whether an order to fire was given.

The survivors are launching a campaign to persuade state and federal lawmakers and other officials to convene hearings to examine new evidence from the May 4, 1970, shootings.

The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported today that survivors and supporters are appealing to Congress, Ohio lawmakers, Gov. John Kasich, Attorney General Mike DeWine and human-rights groups.

Dean Kahler, who was shot in the spine and paralyzed from the waist down, said it’s important to get the truth out before it’s too late.

The Justice Department said last month it won’t reopen its investigation.