December 20, 2014

Medina
Cloudy
29°F
 

Medina teen who made threat must talk to area students

MEDINA — A 19-year-old man who admitted to scrawling a threat of violence on a Medina High School bathroom wall must talk to students as part of his punishment.

David M. Farley, of 4056 Stonegate Drive, was sentenced Monday to five years of probation and 80 hours of community service to Medina County schools.

David M. Farley

“This sentencing means nothing to seventh- or eighth-grade students,” county Prosecutor Dean Holman said. “But if he talks to them about it, that might mean something to them.”

Farley and a second former student were ordered to jointly pay $5,000 in restitution to Medina Schools.

Farley pleaded guilty last month to vandalism, a fourth-degree felony, and inducing panic, a first-degree misdemeanor.

He and Cody W. Fascione, 18, of 311 Howard St., were students when they were arrested April 23. They were accused of writing on a boys’ bathroom stall “C.M.G.” and “Kill ’em all” with the date “4/20.”

“C.M.G.” is short for “Cash Money Gangsta,” the name of a group of high school and Claggett Middle School students.

Fascione pleaded guilty Aug. 7 to the same charges as Farley and was sentenced Sept. 20.

He and Farley received the same sentencing, which also forbids them to have contact with one another, Holman said.

The writing on the bathroom stall led to widespread panic for students and parents in Medina Schools. The high school was evacuated April 13 after a student reported the threatening message.

Less than half the students at both Medina High School and Claggett Middle School attended classes April 20, the date that was scrawled on the wall.

Holman, Superintendent Randy Stepp and police agreed to charge Farley and Fascione with crimes that could be expunged in return for community service.

Farley and Fascione will speak to Medina County’s students about how making threats could ruin their lives.

“Just putting this kid in prison isn’t going to stop this from happening,” Holman said.

Contact Nick Glunt at (330) 721-4048 or nglunt@medina-gazette.com.


  • Liberal4Life

    David Farley made death threats to kids at school! You have to be mentally disturb to do something so stupid. He’s probably in prison by now! His parents must be proud.

    This i show it starts, glad the police in Medina treated it with the seriousness it deserved. My kids go to this school and this is one area that zero tolerance should be expected by all parents,

    David Farley at 18 years old was an adult, this was no juvenile action, David Farley got off easy, I wouldn’t trust him.