September 16, 2014

Medina
Mostly cloudy
63°F

Small fire evacuates Medina City Hall, police station

Medina firefighters check out the entrance to the Medina Municipal Building, 132 N. Elmwood Ave., this morning while responding to a small fire in the facility. Medina Mayor Dennis Hanwell, right, was one of about 35 city employees forced to evacuate the building due to the blaze. (GAZETTE PHOTO BY STEVE GRAZIER)

MEDINA — City Hall and the Police Department were evacuated Friday morning because of small fire in the basement blamed on an electrical short.

There were no injuries to the roughly 35 city workers and 15 police officers who left the building as a precaution, Mayor Dennis Hanwell said.

Fire Chief Bob Painter said the fire started when an exit sign shorted out at about 10 a.m. near a basement elevator in the Medina Municipal Building, 132 N. Elmwood Ave., which houses City Hall and the Police Department.

Painter said city employees were able to put out the fire using a dry chemical extinguisher.

“They were able to knock it down pretty quick,” the chief said. “It seemed a lot bigger than what it was.”

Painter said damage was minimal. He estimated it would cost between $300 and $400 to clean up smoke damage in the building.

He said the city also will need to buy a new exit sign.

City employees were back to work by noon. Firefighters spent nearly three hours ventilating the building with fans and resetting fire alarms and sensors.

Contact reporter Steve Grazier at (330) 721-4012 or sgrazier@medina-gazette.com.