December 18, 2014

Medina
Cloudy
28°F
 

Motorcycle ignites house fire in Brunswick Hills Twp.

BRUNSWICK HILLS TWP. — A homeowner was trying to start his motorcycle when a spark ignited a gasoline leak, starting a fire that spread to his home Sunday night.

The fire, at 617 Memory Lane, started at about 6:30 p.m., said Lt. Rob Koerper of the Brunswick Hills Township Fire Department.

A leak in the fuel system of a motorcycle was blamed for a fire that damaged a house at 617 Memory Lane in Brunswick Hills Township. No one was injured in the blaze. (GAZETTE PHOTO BY KIERA MANION-FISCHER)

The motorcycle had been sitting in the garage, which is below the upper floor of the two-story, split-level home. The fire spread to a wall, Koerper said.

“The bedrooms are pretty damaged,” he said.

A family of three lives at the home, but no one was injured, Koerper said. Three cats also escaped unharmed.

“They hid underneath the couch,” he said.

Koerper did not have a damage estimate for the home.

The Red Cross helped the family find a place to stay for the night, he said.

About 24 firefighters from Brunswick Hills Township, Brunswick and Valley City helped fight the fire.

Contact Kiera Manion-Fischer at (330) 721-4049 or kfischer@medina.com.