July 25, 2016

Mostly cloudy

Woman gets year in prison for molesting teenage girls

MEDINA — A 23-year-old woman was sentenced to a year in prison Monday for sexually molesting two teenage girls.

Amandika Adams, of Lexington, Ky., pleaded guilty to attempted burglary and two counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor girl, which are fourth-degree felonies.

Adams was accused of having sex July 20 with two girls, ages 13 and 15. The burglary charge stemmed from her entering the house without the permission of the girls’ parents and intending to have sex with the girls, attorneys said.

Medina County Common Pleas Judge Christopher Collier labeled Adams a Tier II sex offender, meaning she must register with the sheriff’s office every 180 days for 25 years after her release from prison.

Adams’ attorney, Andrew Korduba, said Adams was ashamed of what she did.

“She wishes she could take it back, but she can’t,” he said.

Collier asked Adams how she knew the girls.

“They were my sister’s friends,” she said.

“So you know how old these girls were,” Collier asked. “What’s up with that?”

Adams shrugged.

“I just didn’t care at the time,” she said.

Also in court Monday, a Lafayette Township man who pleaded guilty in February to causing a van with a woman inside to crash into a telephone pole was sentenced to six months in jail.

Shane P. Probert, 26, of 6339 Ryan Road, was convicted of attempted abduction and vehicular assault, which are fourth-degree felonies.

“I’m very sorry for the way events happened,” Probert told the judge.

According to a pre-sentence investigation report read in court, a 29-year-old Medina woman said Probert was telling her about how miserable he was when serving in the Iraq War and then “went crazy” about 5 p.m. Oct. 5.

According to the report, Probert never served in the military.

The woman said he forced her into a van at 7114 Wooster Pike, Montville Township, and set the car to back up into the telephone pole, which was knocked over in the crash.

When police arrived, they reported Probert came out from behind some bushes and asked them to arrest him. Then they said he told police he heard voices and should be put in jail.

Probert said in court Monday he didn’t remember any of that.

His attorney, Frank Gasper, said Probert was tested and found mentally competent.

Gasper said he thought Probert has recovered since October.

“He’s settled down quite a bit since I met him in jail,” Gasper said.

Contact reporter Nick Glunt at (330) 721-4048 or nglunt@medina-gazette.com.

Nick Glunt About Nick Glunt

Nick Glunt primarily covers courts and crime in Medina County. He served The Gazette from September 2012 to December 2015. Contact him at (330) 721-4048 or via email at nglunt@medina-gazette.com.