MEDINA — Students have a little more than a month to polish their Memorial Day essays.
The Medina County Auditor’s Office has announced the rules for its annual Memorial Day Essay Contest. Deadline for entries is May 10.
Last year’s reading by the students of their essays brought tears to the audience. This will be the contest’s sixth year.
The contest, which is put on in partnership with the Wadsworth Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1089, is open to all sixth-, seventh- and eighth-graders who live in Medina County.
Students can choose one of the following topics, according to a news release from the auditor:
• Interview a relative, neighbor or veteran who lived through one of the wars of the 20th century. Write a narrative relating that person’s experience.
• Assume you are a speechwriter for the president. Write a speech to be delivered on Memorial Day, keeping in mind the sacrifices of our veterans.
• Find a quote you believe appropriately honors/summarizes Memorial Day. Explain why you believe this quote relates to Memorial Day.
• Consider the sacrifices soldiers, sailors, marines, airmen and coast guardsmen have made, and make, for our country. Write a letter to a soldier, real or fictitious, thanking them for their service.
• Write an essay on why it is important for Americans to honor Memorial Day.
To be eligible, students must live in Medina County, and entries must contain the student’s name, address, name of parent(s), phone number and email (if applicable).
Entries should be no longer than 1,000 words.
They will be judged on ability to express thought, clarity of writing, spelling, grammar and overall impact.
The first-, second- and third- place winners in each grade level will receive cash prizes donated by the Wadsworth VFW Post 1089 and Auditor Mike Kovack.
Essays must be submitted by May 10.
Entries can be mailed to the Medina County Auditor’s Office, 144 N. Broadway St., Suite 306, Medina, OH, 44256 or they can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Print this story
Report an innappropriate comment
In order to comment, you must agree to our user agreement and discussion guidelines.
Read our user agreement and discussion guidelines ..
Need help? Email Us.