With summer heat and the high electric bills that come with it, homeowners in the Greater Cleveland area are looking for ways to conserve energy. The first step is A/C maintenance, which should keep your cooling system running efficiently all season long.
Scheduling professional service
If you want to get a handle on your energy usage, hiring the right HVAC technician needs to be a priority. Here is what you can expect the technician to check during your A/C maintenance service call:
- Refrigerant – In addition to checking for just the right amount of refrigerant for your air conditioning system, the system will be tested for leaks. This is actually pretty simple; if the refrigerant is low, the system likely has sprung a leak. If refrigerant needs to be removed from the unit, the technician will capture and safely dispose of it.
- Ductwork – The technician will search for any leaks in the ductwork, and seal any that are found.
- Belts and oil motors – To ensure smooth operation, these components will be evaluated for any wear. Belts will be tightened.
- Thermostat – Accuracy will be confirmed by the technician.
- Airflow – To run properly, airflow through the evaporator coil is essential. An expert can measure the level of airflow to ensure efficiency and performance.
- Electric terminals – If needed, these terminals will be cleaned and tightened. There’s also the possibility of applying a non-conductive coating to the terminals.
- Control sequence – The technician will check your system’s electric control sequence to ensure that heating and cooling run separately.
A few quick things you can do yourself
Once you contact an expert, don’t sit around and wait for him or her to arrive. Before someone comes to your house, perform the following tasks to make his or job easier:
- Replace the dirty air filter.
- Remove any debris from around, or on, the outdoor condensing unit, such as leaves, grass, plants, weeds, etc.
- Hose off the outdoor unit.
- Remove any obstructions from interior air vents and registers.
If you’d like additional advice about A/C maintenance, or for other issues concerning home comfort and energy saving, contact the professionals at Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing. We have been serving the HVAC needs of the Greater Cleveland area for over 78 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Western Cleveland, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!