It took two playoffs holes, but Tyler Grabowski was able to record his first big summer win.
The Medina resident parred to win the Cleveland U.S. Kids Tour Championship earlier this month at Shawnee Hills Golf Course in Bedford.
After firing a 73, Grabowski was tied with Solon’s Ben Foltz. The two parred the first playoff hole before Grabowski, an incoming freshman, parred the second hole and Foltz made bogey.
Grabowski won the 12-player field in the 13-14 age division of the event that featured the top three being within a shot of each other, along with Jack Boczar of Ann Arbor, Mich. Fellow Medina residents Lucas Biondich and Ross Williamson placed seventh in the 12- and 11-year-old age brackets, respectively.
The victory at Shawnee was the start to a solid week for Grabowski, who followed with a 76 to tie for second at a Junior PGA Qualifier at Fox Meadows. He then returned to Fox Meadow on Monday to share the 14-15 division title at a Southwest Junior Golf Tour event.
Off and running
The Southwest Junior Golf Tour is four events into the season, recently holding the annual 303 Classic at Cherokee Hills and Brunswick Hills Golf Courses, followed by an event at Fox Meadow G.C.
In the two-day 303 Classic, Medina’s Ryan Scherler was runner-up at 16-18 with rounds of 74 and 76, while Brunswick’s Jessie Vorachek and Hinckley Township’s Madison Butler were second at 16-18 and 13-15, respectively. Colin Miller of Litchfield was fourth and Andrew Grayson of Medina took fifth. On Monday at Fox Meadow, Miller was runner-up after a 78 at 16-18 and Medina resident Ross Scherler placed second at 13-15.
The Buzzard Challenge, a two-day event at Hinckley Hills and Ironwood, starts today and runs through Wednesday.
• Medina’s Evan Schreck and Megan Pollock secured spots in the Junior PGA Sectional Championships next week at Shady Hollow. Schreck tied for second with a 77, while Pollock also tied for runner-up with an 87 in the 16-19 age division in the final qualifier at Ellsworth Meadows. Seville’s Justin Drehs finished tied for 21st.
• Sullivan Township’s Luke Tanner finished a stroke off qualifying for the Kenny Novak Championships at the Country Club of Hudson on Monday. Tanner fired a 7-over 79 in the 13-15 age group. Wadsworth’s Jake Braumbaugh was 42nd in the age division. In 16-19, Medina’s Andrew DeLaat finished in a tie for 10th followed by Brunswick’s David Reiter Jr. and Wadsworth’s Connor Sherrill tying for 22nd. Seville’s Alyssa Drehs tied for seventh in the 13-15 division and Julie Petri of Medina was 14th at 16-19.
Medina resident William McKinley finished tied for 10th at the Club Car/Pepsi Stroke Play Series No. 4 Monday at Silver Lake Country Club. The 34-year-old fired an even-par 72 to finish five strokes off the lead. Medina’s Pete Skirpstas tied for 32nd and Wadsworth’s Daniel Terry tied for 46th. Last week, Skirpstas and McKinley fired 74s at the Club Car/Pepsi Stroke Play Series No. 3 at Pepper Pike Club. Brunswick’s Chad Wilson tied for 28th and Terry finished deadlocked at 51st place.
• The registration deadline for the annual Minute Men Ohio Open Championship, which will be held July 1-3 at Westfield Group Country Club, closes on June 25.
New date for rugby outing Brunswick Rugby Football Club has changed the date of its annual outing. The four-person scramble will be held Aug. 18 at Coopertop at Cherokee Hills Golf Course, starting at 7:30 a.m.
The cost is $100 per person before Aug. 10 and $110 after for 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch, dinner and beverages. Funds from the outing are used to offset the cost of equipment and uniforms for the club, along with a percentage of the proceeds going to the Kevin Fox Memorial Rugby Scholarship Fund. To sign up or for more info, contact Chris Altman at (330) 410-4625 or Brian Williams at (216) 924-2480.
Westfield Fire Association will hold its second annual four-person scramble Saturday at Deer Pass Golf Course. Registration starts at 12:30 p.m. and is $70 a golfer. The outing starts at 2 p.m. with a dinner to follow at 7:30. The fee is $25 for those who just want to attend the dinner. To sign up, contact Chad Gibson at (216) 469-9241.
• Rally for the cure will be holding an event at Rustic Hills Country Club this Sunday. Registration starts at 9 a.m. with the tee time slated for 10. The cost is $20 per person for adults and $10 for kids. For more info, call (330) 725-4281 or visit www.rustichills.com.
• Coppertop at Cherokee Hills is hosting its 15th annual co-ed Play for P.I.N.K Golf Outing on July 20. This four-person scramble will have a shotgun start at 2 p.m. with the fee of $100 (before July 7) and $120 (after July 7) to benefit Play for P.I.N.K. and the Beast Cancer Research Foundation. Call Cherokee Hills at (330) 225-6122 for more details or to register.
Got golf news
Throughout the summer, The Gazette will be running a weekly notebook to highlight local junior and amateur golfers, golf outings and other events in Medina County. If you have something noteworthy, call (330) 721-4055 and leave a detailed message or email email@example.com.
Contact Dan Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Print this story
Report an innappropriate comment
In order to comment, you must agree to our user agreement and discussion guidelines.
Read our user agreement and discussion guidelines ..
Need help? Email Us.