Mindy Herrick played in her first Hudson Junior Invitational earlier this month, but that wasn’t the only highlight for the Medina resident.
Although she finished in 48th place at the prestigious event, the incoming freshman did something on the final day that most golfers go their whole lives without achieving.
Herrick used a nine-iron to record her first career hole-in-one on the par-3, 117-yard No. 11 at The Country Club of Hudson.
The local golfer has had a busy summer as she prepares for her first high school season with the Bees this fall.
Herrick fired an 82 this past weekend at the American Junior Golf Association PBE Qualifier, a round that included seven pars and three birdies, to tie for seventh place overall with Sharon Township’s Chloe McKinzie. Hinckley Township’s Madison Butler was 11th.
Learn to play
Newly-hired Medina girls coach Mickey McGrath, along with the staff at Shale Creek Golf Club, will be conducting a clinic July 15-19 for golfers ages 10-18. The clinic run from 10 a.m. to Noon and is $125 per person or $200 for two. To register, contact Shale Creek at (330) 723-8774.
Three area junior players advanced to play in the Optimist International Junior Golf Championships July 30-Aug. 4 at the PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. Justin Roth (Brunswick), Patrick Luth (Medina) and Alice Ho (Wadsworth) earned spots, while Medina resident Evan Schreck was named alternate.
Kaitlin Neumann won her second Kenny Novak event of the summer this past week, taking the 16-19 age group at Windmill Lakes Golf Club. The 18-year-old shot a 7-over-par 77. Rachel Horvath was eighth with an 88, while Herrick (3rd, 82) and Alyssa Drehs (8th, 92) recorded top-10 finishes in the 13-15 group. Nick Schley tied for fourth with a 76, followed by Andrew DeLaat, who shot a 77 to tie for seventh.
• McKinzie was fourth at the Kenny Novak event at Tanglewood National, while Horvath placed fifth. McKinzie shot an 86, followed by Horvath (87).
• Medina’s Ross Scherler recorded rounds of 90 and 87 to win the Southwest Junior Golf Tour’s Buzzard Challenge, held at Hinckley Hills and Ironwood. Madison Butler of Hinckley was runner-up in the 13-15 age group with a 169 (87-82) and Medina’s Andrew Grayson finished fifth in the 16-18 division.
Ohio Open coming up
The field will be finalized on Wednesday for the 90th Minute Men Ohio Open Championship, to be held this year at Westfield Group Country Club. The event will run Monday through July 3 on both the North and South Courses. A preview of the event will run in Monday’s edition of The Gazette.
Third annual Love In the Name of Christ of Medina County golf outing will be Saturday at Deer Pass Golf Course. Registration will start at 6:30 a.m., followed by a shotgun start at 7:30 and a steak dinner at 1 p.m. The cost for a four-person scramble is $75. For more details, contact Michael at (330) 321-1765 or Chad at (216) 469-9241.
• A four-person scramble to benefit Rhonda Campbell will be July 7 at Deer Pass Golf Course. The event starts at 2 p.m., with a steak dinner at 7:30. The fee is $65 if paid by Friday, $75 after. Contact Chad at (216) 469-9241 to register.
• The second annual Clubbing for Caden event will be held Aug. 3 at Deer Pass Golf Course. The four-person scramble is $65 (if paid before July 24) and $75 after. Registration starts at 12:30 p.m. with a lunch and putting contest, followed by 18 holes of golf at 2 and dinner at 7:30 p.m. Those wanting to attend just the dinner will be charged $25. Call Jennifer at (330) 336-0010 to register.
• Coppertop at Cherokee Hills is hosting its 15th annual co-ed Play for P.I.N.K Golf Outing on July 20. This four-person scramble will have a shotgun start at 2 p.m. with a fee of $100 (before July 7) and $120 (after July 7) to benefit Play for P.I.N.K. and the Beast Cancer Research Foundation. Call Cherokee Hills at (330) 225-6122 for more details or to register.
• Brunswick Rugby Football Club will have a four-person scramble Aug. 18 at Coopertop at Cherokee Hills Golf Course, starting at 7:30 a.m. The cost is $100 per person before Aug. 10 and $110 after that date for 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch, dinner and beverages. Funds from the outing are used to offset the cost of equipment and uniforms for the club, along with a percentage of the proceeds going to the Kevin Fox Memorial Rugby Scholarship Fund. To sign-up or for more info, contact Chris Altman at (330) 410-4625 or Brian Williams (216) 924-2480.
Got golf news?
Throughout the summer, The Gazette will be running a weekly notebook to highlight local junior and amateur golfers, golf outings and other events in Medina County. If you have something noteworthy, please contact The Gazette at (330) 721-4055 and leave a detailed message or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Dan Brown at email@example.com.