Alice Ho was unable to hold on to her one-stroke lead Tuesday as the Wadsworth resident lost in a playoff at the Women’s Ohio State Golf Association’s Ohio Junior Girls Championship at Marion Country Club.
The 16-year-old fired a final-round 9-over-par 81 to finish in a three-way tie with Columbus’ Felicia Davenport and Louisville’s Mackenzie DiPietro. Davenport won the playoff.
Medina County had four other competitors finish in the top 30 of the two-day event that featured 70 players.
Granger Township’s Rachel Horvath and Wadsworth’s Katy Ho finished with 169 strokes. Alicia Porvasnik (172) tied for 25th, while fellow 14-year-old Mindy Herrick of Medina (173) tied for 27th.
Three Hinckley Township residents won division titles Monday at the Southwest Junior Golf Tour event at Pleasant Valley Golf Course. Karly Alexander carded a 77 to take the 16-18 group, while Madison Butler won 13-15 after an 81 and Chad Dubiel tied for the 14-15 crown with a 77. Medina’s Andy Grayson was the top local finish in the 16-18 division.
• The SWGT will host its annual Match Play Championship starting Thursday at Brunswick Hills Golf Course.
• Seville’s Alyssa Drehs carded a 5-over 77 to win the 13-15 bracket at the Kenny Novak event at Barberton Brookside. Drehs won by seven shots over Ravenna’s Macie Hysell. Sullivan Township’s Luke Tanner tied for sixth in the 13-15 age group with an 83, while Medina’s Andrew DeLaat shot 80 to tie for eighth at 16-19. Medina’s Patrick Delaney placed fifth in the 12-year-old group. Earlier in the week, Liverpool Township’s Kaitlin Neumann won the 16-19 division at Williandale G.C. with a 3-over 75.
• Montville Township’s Spencer Koch fired a final-round 4-over 76 to tie for 26th in a Junior PGA Series event at Penn State. He finished with a 9-over 225. Chloe McKinzie of Sharon Township was 25th after finishing with a 28-over 244.
• The deadline for the first Northern Ohio PGA College Preview event is July 24 at Youngstown Country Club. The tournament is available to players ages 18-22. The NOPGA also will have showcases at Little Mountain C.C. (Aug. 5) and Barrington Golf Course (Aug. 12). To register, visit TheNorthernOhioPGA.com and click on junior golf or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Montville Township’s Pete Skirpstas teamed with Matt Heedstand to tie for seventh at the Nike Pro-1 Am Scratch at Lake Forest Country Club. The tandem combined for eight birdies en route to carding a 4-under 68. Wadsworth’s Daniel Terry and partner Bill Downing tied for 27th with a 1-over 73.
• Medina’s Neil and John Furlong finished fourth at the Cleveland Metroparks Father-Son Championship. The duo fired 66 at Manakiki Golf Course in Willoughby Hills. Ron and Pete Skirpstas also shot a 66 and placed fifth.
• Wadsworth resident Sue Siesky picked up five points in the Women’s Akron District Golf Association event at Rosemont Country Club. Siesky had a net of 75 in the third flight.
A benefit for Mike Kelly will be held Aug. 2 at Bunker Hill Golf Course from 7-10 p.m. Tickets are $25 and include all-you-can eat wings and pizza, as well as unlimited draft beer and soda. Participants will be able to use the course’s indoor golf simulators for free and there also will be sideboards and a Chinese raffle. Kelly was diagnosed with cancer in May and proceeds will help pay bills. For more details or for tickets, call (216) 390-0217.
The second annual Parma Girls Basketball outing will be July 27 at Briarwood Golf Club in Broadview Heights. The four-person scramble is $350 per foursome or $95 per individual. The shotgun start is slated for 10 a.m. For more information, contact coach Cassie Seth at email@example.com.
• CopperTop at Cherokee Hills will host its 15th annual co-ed Play for P.I.N.K Golf Outing on July 20. The four-person scramble will have a shotgun start at 2 p.m. with a fee of $120 to benefit Play for P.I.N.K. and the Beast Cancer Research Foundation. Call Cherokee Hills at (330) 225-6122 for more details or to register.
• The inaugural Mark Borsz Scholarship Golf Fundraiser will be Monday at Deer Pass Golf Course starting at 2 p.m. The four-person scramble is $75. For those interested in attending just the steak dinner, the cost is $25. To register, call Chad Gibson at (216) 469-9241.
• The eighth annual Waiting Child Fund outing will be Aug. 3 at Fowler’s Mill Golf Course in Chesterland. A noon shotgun start is scheduled and the cost is $95 per player and $380 per foursome. For more details, visit www.waitingchildfund.com.
• The Diamond Legends Classic to support University of Akron baseball will be Monday at Medina Country Club. A shotgun start is slated for 1:30 p.m., and the fee of $160 includes golf, range, cart, lunch, on-course beverages, tee prize package and dinner. For more info, contact Alexa Doutt at (330) 972-2695 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The second annual Clubbing for Caden event will be Aug. 3 at Deer Pass Golf Course. The four-person scramble is $65 per golfer before July 24 and $75 after. Registration starts at 12:30 p.m. with a lunch and putting contest followed by 18 holes at 2 and dinner at 7:30. Those wanting to attend just the dinner will be charged $25. Call Jennifer at (330) 336-0010 to register.
• Brunswick Rugby Football Club will have a four-person scramble Aug. 18 at Cooper Top at Cherokee Hills Golf Course starting at 7:30 a.m. The cost is $100 per person before Aug. 10 and $110 after for 18 holes with a cart, lunch, dinner and beverages. Funds from the outing will be used to offset the cost of equipment and uniforms for the club, along with a percentage going to the Kevin Fox Memorial Rugby Scholarship Fund. To sign up, contact Chris Altman at (330) 410-4625 or Brian Williams at (216) 924-2480.
• Black River’s athletic department will hold a four-person scramble Sept. 28 starting at 2 p.m at Deer Pass Golf Course. The cost is $65 per golfer. Those wanting to attend the steak dinner/silent auction will be charged $25. To register, contact Josh Calame at (330) 234-0282 or Chad Gibson at (216) 469-9241.
Contact Dan Brown at email@example.com.