WADSWORTH — Police this week received multiple complaints about burglaries and break-ins in the neighborhood surrounding Valleyview Elementary School.
On Wednesday, four burglaries were reported in the 100 and 200 blocks of Longview Drive between 7:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Other incidents were reported this week on Knollwood Drive and High Street.
A Thursday news release said the crimes are “being aggressively investigated by the Wadsworth Police Department.”
Residents are asked to be the department’s “eyes and ears” in any suspicious situations.
Residents who notice unusual or unfamiliar vehicles, people or activities in their neighborhoods are encouraged to call police 24 hours a day at (330) 334-1511or to call 911 in case of an emergency.
Anonymous information regarding criminal activity or illicit drug activity can be left in a voicemail box at (330) 335-2769. Information also can be provided to department personnel viae-mail, email@example.com or via the department’s Facebook site, www.facebook.com/wadsworthpd.
Police offered the following tips to help discourage break-ins:
• Make your home look occupied and make it difficult to break in.
• Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave the house or go to bed. Even if it is for a short time, lock your doors.
• Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for any length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
• Keep your garage door closed and locked.
• Don’t allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers to build up while you are away. Arrange with the post office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to pick it up regularly.
• Arrange for your lawn to be mowed if you are going away for an extended time.
• Check your locks on doors and windows and replace them with secure devices as necessary.
• Pushbutton locks on doorknobs are easy for burglars to open. Install deadbolt locks on all your outside doors.
• Sliding glass doors are vulnerable. Special locks are available for better security.