A pair of Medina County residents recently earned preseason accolades from college football publications.
Walsh University wide receiver Anthony Schrock was selected to the All-Ohio Division II Preseason Team by ohiocollegefootball.com, while Morehead State’s Kalvin Harrington picked up second-team accolades in a recent All-Pioneer Football League list compiled by College Sports Madness.
Schrock, a former All-Gazette pick from Wadsworth, recorded 34 catches for 631 yards and three touchdowns in 2012. The Cavaliers, under the direction of first-year coach Ted Karras Jr., will open the regular season Sept. 5 against Edinboro.
Harrington, an offensive lineman from Cloverleaf, blocked for an offense that led the conference in points (38.4), total yards (471.5) and passing yards (305.4). The Eagles host Pikeville (Ky.) in their opener on Aug. 29.
Here’s a glance of other local products taking to the college gridiron:
• Mount Union comes into the 2013 campaign as the preseason No. 1 team in the country and in the Ohio Athletic Conference. Junior defensive lineman Ken Dobbins Jr. (Brunswick) and wideout Nick Langowski (Brunswick) are back for the Purple Raiders, who claimed the OAC crown for the 21st straight season last fall and went on to win a record 11th D-III national championship. Sophomore defensive back Will Hiteshue (Medina) also returns.
• Adam Cepik (Cloverleaf) will lead a strong linebacking unit for Heidelberg, which was ranked second in the OAC and 14th in the D3football.com rating. Cepik had 68 tackles last fall, along with three interceptions and a touchdown. Another former Colt, sophomore defensive lineman Kyle Jenkin, is also on the roster.
• Baldwin Wallace was picked third in OAC preseason polls by the media and coaches. Junior defensive end Thomas Iverson (Wadsworth) is a returning letterwinner for the Yellow Jackets. The BW roster also includes fellow juniors Bo Graf (Medina), Pete Meadows (Medina resident/CVCA), Jake O’Connor (Black River) and Cameron O’Rourke (Cloverleaf). Sophomores Hayden DeYoung (Westfield Center resident/Hoban), Austin Gonser (Highland) and Jon Kuss (Wadsworth) also are on the roster.
• After winning a share of the North Coast Athletic Conference in 2012, Wittenberg has been selected as the preseason favorite. Defensive back Heath Eby (Cloverleaf) and quarterback Noah Johanson had a big part in the championship and both are entering their junior campaigns.
• Under the direction of Cloverleaf graduate Tom Watts, Ohio Wesleyan was the feel-good story of last season after winning a share of the NCAC. The Battling Bishops are ranked third in the preseason poll. Wide receiver Steven Uhler (Brunswick) is an incoming junior.
• After winning its first GLIAC championship, Ashland returns seniors Tyler Houska (Highland) and Cory Reisner (Buckeye). Houska, a defensive lineman, had 37 tackles and 2½ sacks last season.
• Chad Toocheck (Medina) is looking to expand on a sophomore season where he was a second-team All-Gulf South Conference selection at wide receiver for the University of West Alabama, recording a team-best 28 catches.
• Linebacker Jake Hammer (Wadsworth resident/SVSM) returns for his senior season at Marietta after leading the Pioneers with 115 total stops.
• Tight end Mason Schreck (Medina) will begin his first season with Buffalo as a redshirt freshman and will be joined by incoming freshman defensive lineman Chris Ford (Medina).
• Wide receiver Anthony Young (Liverpool Twp. resident/St. Edward) will look to crack the top half of the depth chart for Indiana University.
• Defensive end Kyle Sirl (Cloverleaf) will be a senior at Youngstown State. He played in nine games and made six starts a year ago.
• Cody Furr (Cloverleaf) and Dave Grabowski (Cloverleaf) are returning offensive linemen for Lake Eric College. Furr also is listed at tight end.
• Lehigh’s Jason Suggs (Medina) returns at linebacker for the Patriot League school. The former All-Ohioan has been a mainstay on special teams the past two seasons.
• Notre Dame College will begin play in the newly-formed Mountain East Conference. Tight end Ray J. Brown (Brunswick) will be entering his junior season.
• Juniors Brendon James (Brunswick) and Joe Richissin (Brunswick) are slated to return for Hiram College.
• Offensive linemen Steve Dembowski (Cloverleaf) and Matt Joppeck (Black River) return for Ohio Northern, which is coming off a 4-6 campaign.
• Freshman Robby Buckwald (Cloverleaf) will start his college career as a linebacker for Toledo.
• Luke Currens (Wadsworth) returns for Taylor (Ind.) as a starting defensive back. He’s joined on the roster by lineman Brian Taylor (Brunswick).
• An All-GLIAC Academic selection last season, Carlton Watkins (Buckeye) is one of Tiffin’s top wideouts.
• Austin Roberts (Cloverleaf) will play for Trine University (Ind.) this fall.
• Bart Randolph (Wadsworth) and Ben Buzzelli (Wadsworth) are back for Walsh at fullback and on the offensive line, respectively.
• Mark Salamon (Cloverleaf) will begin his playing career at Westminster College (Pa.).
Contact Dan Brown at email@example.com.
Print this story
Report an innappropriate comment
In order to comment, you must agree to our user agreement and discussion guidelines.
Read our user agreement and discussion guidelines ..
Need help? Email Us.