It’s been calculated that the odds of an average golfer hitting a hole-in-one are approximately 12,500 to 1.
When it comes to Medina resident Misti Joseph, those estimations go out the window.
The former two-time Gazette MVP recorded her eighth hole-in-one recently at Westfield Group Country Club.
Joseph used an 8-iron to one-time the 142-yard, par-3 No. 11 hole on the club’s North Course.
Joseph, a 2005 Medina graduate, led the Bees to back-to-back 10th-place showings at the Division I state tournament.
She currently works in the pro shop at Westfield.
Daniel Terry of Wadsworth was the lone local resident to participate in the Northern Ohio PGA’s Senior Professional Championship at Mayfield Country Club. The 50-year-old finished tied for 10th, carding an 8-over-par 150 for the two-day event. Terry got off to a good start with a 1-over 72, but followed with a 7-over 78.
• The Medina tandem of William McKinley and Pete Skirpstas recorded 3-over 75s to tie for 22nd at the NOPGA’s Stroke Play Series at Barrington Golf Club. Terry tied for 48th after shooting an 81, while Brunswick’s Chad Wilson chipped in an 85 to place 57th.
Liverpool Township’s Kaitlin Neumann shined in one of the final tune-ups before beginning her college career at Ashland, taking second at the NOPGA’s Collegiate Preview at Barrington. Neumann, who attended Avon High, fired an 8-over 80 to finish two shots back of Jenny Tsangeos of Canton. Hinckley Township’s Jessica McRae, who will be golfing for Ohio this fall, was fifth with an 87. On the boys side, Medina resident Mike Bishop tied for 14th after a 9-over 81. Bishop will be entering his sophomore season at Cleveland State.
The fifth annual Wadsworth Youth Wrestling four-man scramble will be held Oct. 6 at Ridge Top Golf Course. The cost is $75 a person or $300 a foursome. Shotgun start is slated for 9 a.m. Non-golfers who want to attend the dinner afterward will be charged $25, with the proceeds to benefit the Wadsworth Wrestling Club Inc. For more details, contact Todd Baughman at (330) 607-6985.
• Ohio State University Alumni Club of Greater Cleveland will hold an outing Saturday at Shale Creek Golf Course. Registration and lunch will be held at 11 a.m., with a 1 p.m. shotgun start to follow. The cost is $125 per person or $400 per foursome. Just the steak dinner is $60. For more info, call Tom Thiry at (216) 870-2371.
• The American Cancer Society will hold a scramble Saturday at Deer Pass Golf Course. Golfing starts at 2 p.m., with a steak dinner and silent auction to follow. The cost is $75 per person. To register, call Janice Brooks at (330) 722-5991.
• The Still Here Invitational Charity Golf Outing will be held Saturday at Rawiga Country Club. The four-man scramble will have a staggered shotgun start at 1 p.m. The cost is $75 per player. Proceeds will benefit local youth athletes and accredited charities. To register or for more information, contact John Takacs at email@example.com.
• Brunswick Rugby Football Club will be having a four-person scramble Sunday at Copper Top at CopperTop at Cherokee Hills Golf Course, starting at 7:30 a.m. The cost is $110 per person for 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch, dinner and beverages. Funds from the outing are used to offset the coast of equipment and uniforms for the club, along with a percentage of the proceeds going to the Kevin Fox Memorial Rugby Scholarship Fund. To sign up or for more info, contact Chris Altman at (330) 410-4625 or Brian Williams (216) 924-2480.
• St. Patrick Episcopal Church of Brunswick is hosting a charity outing at CopperTop at Cherokee Hills Golf Course on Aug. 31. This four-player scramble is $100 a person and will start at 2 p.m. For more info or to register, contact Ed Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Ohio Ladies Golf Association will hold a Rally for the Cure event on Sept. 7 at Paradise Lake Golf Course in Mogadore. The cost is $75 and hole sponsorships are available for $100. All proceeds go to Rally for the Cure. For more information, call (216) 469-9287.
• Black River’s athletic department will be holding a four-person scramble Sept. 28 starting at 2 p.m. at Deer Pass Golf Course. The cost is $65 per golfer. For those who just want to attend the steak dinner/silent auction, the fee is $25. To register, contact Josh Calame at (330) 234-0282 or Chad Gibson at (216) 469-9241.
Contact Dan Brown at email@example.com.