April 23, 2014

Medina
Cloudy
38°F

House total loss after fire in Montville

Medina Fire Chief Robert Painter said a garage stove likely caused the fire that destroyed this home at 6507 Shale Court in Montville Township on Friday. (DAN POMPILI / GAZETTE)

MONTVILLE TWP. — Fire gutted a house in the Cobblestone neighborhood Friday.

Chief Robert Painter of the Medina Fire Department said a stove in the garage likely is to blame for the blaze that destroyed the attached garage and collapsed the roof at 6507 Shale Court, home of physician Bhupinder Singh and his family.

Singh said he was running the vacuum cleaner when it cut out. When he checked the electrical outlet, which had shorted out, he smelled smoke. So he went to the garage to check the stove where the family had just prepared lunch.

“I don’t know how it happened, if we spilled something maybe, but it was smoke and within a minute it was fire,” Singh said.

Singh told firefighters that the blaze already was too large to put out with a home fire extinguisher so he called 911.

His children, Pavan and Amrita Kaur, and his mother, Parmjit Kaur, escaped out a back door and Singh was able to pull his car out of the garage. His wife, Jagrup Kaur, was at work.

The 911 call came in at 1:17 p.m. and Montville police arrived two minutes later, Sgt. Chris LaFond said. At that point, the garage was engulfed in flames.

“Everybody got out safe and that’s what counts,” LaFond said.

Painter said his crew arrived a couple minutes after that and by then the fire had spread to the attic over the home.

Painter said his department was able to knock down the fire with a ladder truck and some aerial support. But the home — valued at $222,000, according to the Medina County auditor’s website — will be considered a complete loss.

Crews remained on scene into the evening.

Contact reporter Dan Pompili at (330) 721-4012 or dpompili@medina-gazette.com.

  • YYZBuckeye

    I understand we have a volunteer fire department and glad no one got hurt but the result could have been likely much better if it did not take the fire department 20-30 minutes or so to arrive at the house.

  • concerned neighbor

    Agreed. It was around 20 minutes before a drop of water fell. Now the house is a total loss. The Red Cross was frustrated because they weren’t called in by fire as per the usual standard. Thank God for kind neighbors willing to help. Red Cross was called by the neighbors.

  • Very concerned

    I live on Shale court and the fire dept took 29 minutes to arrive from the first 911 call. By the time they hooked up the hose and started to spray the fire it was 35-37 min after the call. This house could have been saved. It was in the garage snd now it’s a total loss. Ok so we have a volunteer fire dept here how come it too the fire drpot so long to arrive when they are three yes three miles from the house that caught fire. We need answers because if someone was trapped inside they would have died. This needs a little more investigation done.

  • judy

    I agreed with my fellow neighbors. Thank God nobody hurts in this incident. I think its a time to plan a new strategies by fire department In case of major fire incident. I request everyone to come forward and do something about it.