July 24, 2016

Partly cloudy

Fire damages home in Chippewa Lake

CHIPPEWA LAKE — A home on Reid Road was damaged by smoke during a fire Tuesday morning.

Although the fire was contained to a living room, Lafayette Township Fire Chief Jeff Hall said the two-story, frame house at 605 Reid Road sustained “heavy smoke damage.”

Hall estimated the damage at about $40,000.

Hall said a husband and wife live at the residence, and neither was home at the time of the fire.

He said the cause of the fire likely was electrical, though he wasn’t sure lightning hit the house or an electrical device malfunctioned.

The family is being helped by the American Red Cross.

“They’re going to be displaced for a little while,” Hall said.

The Lafayette Township and Seville-Guilford fire departments responded, as well as the Medina County Fire Investigation Task Force.

Gazette staff About Gazette staff

The Gazette is Medina County's daily local news source, serving the community since 1832. Contact The Gazette's news department at (330) 721-4065 or areanews@medina-gazette.com.