MEDINA — Heritage and Sidney Fenn elementary schools and Medina High School will be open for tours Saturday as part of the “What’s the Buzz” Medina public art project.
The goal of the project is to promote pride in the community. Students, teachers and local artists have designed and painted 5-by-3-foot, polyurethane bees, and they are on display throughout the community.
Residents are encouraged to pick up a passport at the farmers market on Public Square and get it stamped at all the locations that have sponsored bees. Completed passports will be entered to win a Medina gift basket valued at $300.
The project is in cooperation with Medina Schools, the Medina City Schools Foundation, the city of Medina and Main Street Medina.
Heritage, 833 Guilford Blvd., and Fenn Elementary, 320 N. Spring Grove St., will be open 10 a.m. to noon. Medina High School, 777 E. Union St., will be open 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. — Medina Library, 210 S. Broadway St., will offer giveaways.
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Medina Hospital, 1000 E. Washington St., will feature a family fitness challenge.
• 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. — Root Candle Company, 623 W. Liberty St..
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Sandridge Food Corp., 133 Commerce Drive, food samples.
• 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Stop-N-Go, 1033 S. Court St., free beverage with every canned food donation.
• 9 a.m. to noon — Westfield Bank, 4015 Medina Road, Medina Township.
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Critchfield, Critchfield & Johnston, 4996 Foote Road, Medina Township, offering giveaways.
The district also continues to host informational meetings on the five-year, 5.9-mill levy on the Nov. 5 ballot:
• 7 p.m. Thursday, Eliza Northrop Elementary, 950 E. Reagan Pkwy.
• 7 p.m. Monday, Ralph Waite Elementary, 4765 Cobblestone Park Drive, Montville Township.
• 7 p.m. Sept. 26, H.G. Blake Elementary, 4704 Lexington Ridge Drive, Montville Township.
• 6 p.m. Oct. 11, Garfield Elementary, Scarecrow Night and levy discussion.
Other school district events:
• 5:30 to 7 p.m. Friday, Spirit Night, a tailgate party before the football game will take place in the Medina High School parking lot outside of Ken Dukes Stadium. Spirit Night kicks off Medina Schools’ pride week through Sept. 20. Residents are encouraged to display “Proud to be a Medina Bee” signs and tie green and white ribbon around trees.
• 7 p.m. Tuesday, Medina High School gymnasium, 777 E. Union St. The Harlem Wizards once again come to Medina show off their basketball tricks and play a team of students, school and city officials. Brigid Turrittin, co-chair of Kids First Medina, said the event is a fundraiser for the levy campaign. She said a donor has offered to match up to $5,000 of money collected during half-time. Tickets can be bought at any Medina school or online at www.harlemwizards.com. Tickets bought in advance are $8 and are $10 at the door.
• 7:30 p.m. Sept. 20, Public Square, Medina Schools Movie Night, “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.”
• 5 to 6:30 p.m. Sept. 30, Spaghetti for Seniors, main cafeteria, Medina High School.
• 6 p.m. Oct. 3, Public Square, homecoming parade.
• 7 p.m. Oct. 4, Ken Dukes Stadium, homecoming varsity football game, Medina Bees vs. the Strongsville Mustangs.
Contact reporter Kiera Manion-Fischer at (330) 721-4049 or email@example.com.