August 3, 2015

Medina
Mostly cloudy
68°F
 

Accused child abuser revokes guilty plea

MEDINA — A 20-year-old Elyria man who last month pleaded guilty to beating his infant son now says he’s innocent of the charge.

Christian A. Vanmeter revoked his guilty plea Monday at what was scheduled to be his sentencing hearing on charges of second-degree felonious assault and third-degree child endangering.

Christian Vanmeter

Christian Vanmeter

He had pleaded guilty to felonious assault in exchange for prosecutors dropping a child endangering charge.

He faced eight or more years in prison if convicted.

Vanmeter is accused of breaking the bones of his 3½-month-old son in late June, according to county records. Police reported an investigation began after a hospital reported the child’s injuries were indicative of abuse.

According to the county Probation Department, the boy’s mother said she and Vanmeter didn’t hurt the baby. She said he was injured by doctors.

Medina County Common Pleas Judge Christopher J. Collier scheduled Vanmeter for a Feb. 12 trial and ordered Vanmeter back in the county jail on $300,000 bond.

In addition, Vanmeter requested he get a new attorney. His previous attorney, Cara Ford, withdrew as counsel.

Contact reporter Nick Glunt at (330) 721-4048 or nglunt@medina-gazette.com.


Nick Glunt About Nick Glunt

Nick Glunt primarily covers courts and crime in Medina County. He has been with The Gazette since September 2012 and also serves as the newspaper's web editor. Contact him at (330) 721-4048 or via email at nglunt@medina-gazette.com.