MEDINA — Forty Medina County students are headed to the state speech and debate competition Feb. 28 to March 1 in Wooster following a district competition Saturday.
Wadsworth’s speech and debate team took second place and Highland’s team placed third in the Akron Ohio High School Speech League Akron District Championship on Saturday in Medina that included 12 school districts from Medina, Summit and Wayne counties.
State qualifiers are:
• Dimitri Georgiadis and Gabe Reed (district champion), Humorous Interpretation;
• Mina Hoffman and Olivia Pickard (district champion), Dramatic Interpretation;
• Mckenzie Kovacs and Jordan Perrin, Prose/Poetry’
• Ben Peters (district champion), Oratorical Interpretation;
• Becca Habig, Ben Behydt, and Keragen Corpening (district champion), Original Oratory;
• Dan Brazier, Lincoln-Douglas;
• Matt Depero and Ryan Moore, and Brook Lennord and Madlyn Mann, Pubic Forum;
• Jake Wilkinson, International Extemporaneous;
• Christopher Benson, U.S. Extemporaneous.
• Emily Nosek, Humorous Interpretation;
• Abbey McMaster, Oratorical Interpretation;
• Haleigh Copley, Prose/Poetry;
• Morgan Staten, International Extemporaneous.
• The Policy debate team of Anna Sollenberger and Brianna Pinchot;
• The Public Forum debate teams of Maddie Anich and Liz Schmidt, and Austin Levan and Noah Zona;
• Jeff Rolland, Ben Lewis and Chris Pace, Impromptu Speaking;
• Christine Withrow and Carolyn Kusoski, Original Oratory;
• John DiGiacobbe (district champion), U.S. Extemporaneous Speaking;
• Lydia Mainzer, Sarah Hoose and Carissa Temerson, Student Congress.
• Lincoln-Douglas Debate team of Andrew Shea and Brandy Honable (district champions), Hannah Friedrick and Coral Ciupak.
— from staff reports