Gazette reporters and editors are finalists in the Ohio Associated Press Media Editors’ 2013 newspaper contest. Gazette finalists are:
• Best headline writer — Scott Kline.
• Best sports feature writer: Albert Grindle.
• Best sports writer: Rick Noland.
• Best news writer: Loren Genson.
• Best sports event coverage: “Heartbroken Hornets.”
• Best special sports section: Albert Grindle, “2013 Football Preview.”
• Best daily sports section: Gazette sports staff.
• Best illustration: David Knox, “Puff Balls.”
• Best sports photo: Ron Schwane.
• Best community service: “Anatomy of a Teen Suicide.”
• Best enterprise reporting: David Knox, “Ohio Losing High-Tech Jobs.”
• Best investigative reporting: Loren Genson and David Knox, “Superintendent’s Contract Has Lavish Perks.”
• Best page one layout: Scott Kline.
The awards in actual order of finish — first, second and third places — will be announced at the Ohio APME annual awards banquet May 18 in Columbus. The General Excellence and First Amendment winners also will be announced at the meeting.
Sixty-four daily newspapers submitted 2,599 entries in the contest, which featured news and sports stories, features, editorials, columns, graphics and photos from 2013.
The Gazette competed in Divison II, which included newspapers with a daily circulation of 8,000 to 12,999. The Cadillac (Mich.) News and The (St. Joseph, Mich.) Herald-Palladium judged Division II entries.