August 31, 2014

Medina
Cloudy
70°F

Judge questions whether man wants to change guilty plea in child rape case

A Wadsworth man’s Thursday sentencing was postponed a week after he told probation officers that he didn’t rape a young girl — a charge to which he had pleaded guilty.

Medina County Common Pleas Judge James L. Kimbler said he wanted to give 23-year-old Charles Mills a chance to revoke his guilty plea before sentencing. Kimbler gave Mills until May 1 to decide.

Charles Mills, 23, listens to Medina County Common Pleas Judge James L. Kimbler with his attorney, Michael Callow. Mills is charged with videotaping himself having sex with two young girls and disposing of the tapes after they were discovered. (NICK GLUNT / GAZETTE)

Charles Mills, 23, listens to Medina County Common Pleas Judge James L. Kimbler with his attorney, Michael Callow. Mills is charged with videotaping himself having sex with two young girls and disposing of the tapes after they were discovered. (NICK GLUNT / GAZETTE)

“I will say that if you decide to revoke your plea, I’ll be transferring the case to Judge (Christopher) Collier’s courtroom,” Kimbler told Mills.

Mills, of the 100 block of Main Street, pleaded guilty last month to raping a child under age 10, tampering with evidence, two counts of pandering sexual oriented material involving a minor, and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.

The charges are punishable by mandatory life in prison with parole eligibility after 15 years.

Mills is accused of videotaping himself having sex with two young girls, county Prosecutor Dean Holman said. After the videotapes were discovered by two family members, Holman said Mills disposed of them.

During a presentence investigation, the judge said Mills told probation officers that he didn’t rape one of the girls.

County Assistant Prosecutor Michael McNamara said if that’s the case, Mills would have been charged with gross sexual imposition — a much less severe felony charge.

Mills’ attorney, Michael Callow, said Mills wanted to go forward with the sentencing because prosecutors offered him a plea deal.

In exchange for the guilty plea, prosecutors dropped a violent sexual predator specification, which would have given Mills life in prison with no chance at parole.

The prosecutor has said a plea deal in this case was preferable because it would spare the victim having to testify at trial, which he said would be traumatic.

Mills awaits his next hearing at the county jail, where he’s being held on $500,000 bond.

Contact reporter Nick Glunt at (330) 721-4048 or nglunt@medina-gazette.com.