July 29, 2014

Medina
Mostly cloudy
67°F

Brunswick man, 20, charged year after Chippewa Lake home invasion

BRUNSWICK — More than a year after sheriff’s deputies say he invaded a Chippewa Lake home, a Brunswick man is scheduled to be arraigned this morning on charges of aggravated burglary and felonious assault.

Thomas Slagle

Thomas Slagle

Thomas E. Slagle, 20, of the 600 block of Maplewood Avenue, was being held Wednesday at the Medina County Jail on $100,000 bond, 10 percent, awaiting his arraignment on two counts of aggravated burglary, a first-degree felony, and a second-degree felony count of felonious assault before county Common Pleas Judge James L. Kimbler.

Brunswick police arrested Slagle at his home Tuesday morning.

According to a grand jury indictment, Slagle entered the Chippewa Lake home Dec. 2, 2012, with three other men wielding a baseball bat. He was 18 at the time.

The other men — Shane Wuensch, of Brunswick, Jason Donelon, of Brunswick, and Brandon Ward, of Brunswick Hills Township, pleaded guilty to burglary and assault charges last year.

During their sentencing hearings, prosecutors said the men kicked in the door of the home and threw gasoline on a 14-year-old boy. They also hit the boy’s mother with a baseball bat.

Wuensch told the court the attack was a “scare tactic” to collect drug money.

In initial police reports, the mother’s 17-year-old son, who was not home during the attack, said he believed it was motivated by a dispute over a girl at school.

At Wuensch’s sentencing, the mother told the judge her 5-year-old son, who witnessed the crime, still is terrified there may be “bad guys” around.

Wuensch was sentenced to 11 years in prison for the attack and two drug cases in Medina County.

Donelon was sentenced to 10 years and Ward was sentenced to 15 years in prison for their roles in the home invasion and other felonies.

If convicted, Slagle faces 11 or more years in prison.

In July 2013, Slagle pleaded guilty to two charges of trafficking a controlled substance.

He was sentenced to three years of probation and had his driver’s license suspended for six months.

Contact reporter Loren Genson at (330) 721-4063 or lgenson@medina-gazette.com.