October 25, 2014

Medina
Intermittent clouds
66°F

Brunswick moving to bring new chief Anthony Bales on board ASAP

BRUNSWICK — City Council members moved up the timetable to approve a contract for incoming City Manager Anthony Bales to allow the former Hudson city manager to start work as soon as possible.

Bales will be paid $111,000 annually and will be eligible for longevity pay in 2017. Ward 2 Councilman Vince, who serves as vice mayor, said Council members wanted to move quickly so Bales can start work in June.

Anthony Bales

Anthony Bales

“We want him to start and he’s anxious to start,” Carl said following a special meeting Tuesday to approve the contract.

The city has been without a manager since August when Jim Lukas resigned. Bales was selected late last month after a second round of interviews. Bales said he expects to start in mid-June.

Bales works part time as an economic development specialist for the city of Kent, but served as city manager for Hudson from 2006 to 2013.

Bales said he’s already met with most Council members one-on-one to get to know them and the city better so he can hit the ground running in June.

“With the road levy passing, that’s something we can begin work on right away,” Bales said. “I want to get in and learn more about the community before I make any other predictions about the future.”

In the contract, Council agrees to give Bales 45 days’ notice if they wish to terminate his contract, and Bales promises to do the same if he chooses to resign his position. He will get a $335 car allowance each month and either be provided with a city cell phone or receive a reimbursement for his phone.

The contract also calls for Bales to move to Brunswick. He said he and his wife are looking for a home in the city. He said the schools and community look great for his family. He and his wife have two sons.

“The thing that’s impressed me the most is the number and quality of the parks,” he said. “The more I’m in Brunswick, the more impressed I am.”

Contact reporter Loren Genson at (330) 721-4063 or lgenson@medina-gazette.com. Follow her on Twitter @lorengenson.