September 22, 2014

Medina
Cloudy
53°F

Man, 60, accused of raping three teenagers over a year

Gary Royer

Gary Royer

A 60-year-old Litchfield Township man has pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting three teenagers last year.

A Medina County grand jury indicted Gary Royer, of the 9200 block of Norwalk Road, in July on seven counts of rape and three counts of gross sexual imposition. The charges are first- and fourth-degree felonies.

If convicted, Royer faces up to 11 years in prison on the rape charges and 1½ years in prison on the imposition charges.

According to the indictment, Royer assaulted the teens while they were drunk. Specific dates are unclear, but span Jan. 24 through Dec. 1, 2013.

County sheriff’s Capt. Ken Baca said detectives are investigating other possible victims, so Royer could face additional charges.

Baca said detectives were alerted when the families of the victims — all under age 16 — filed reports in July.

“We’re still continuing to investigate,” Baca said.

At his Aug. 7 arraignment hearing, Common Pleas Judge James L. Kimbler found Royer indigent and appointed Medina attorney Robert Hanwell to represent him. Hanwell did not return a call for comment.

Baca said he hoped the victims could find peace by coming forward.

“It’s one of those cases where we’re concerned with how it turns out for the victims and families. This sort of thing scars a young person’s life for the rest of their life,” he said. “It takes a monumental toll. It really does.”

Royer is being held at the county jail on 10 percent of a $125,000 bond.

Contact reporter Nick Glunt at (330) 721-4048 or nglunt@medina-gazette.com. Follow him on Twitter @ngfalcon.