Submitted by Lisa Herbert
I often get asked by patients for advice on pillows, mattresses, and all sorts of health related things. While I usually steer clear of naming brands and would rather offer people a variety of choices so they can select what works best for them, this time, I’m going to be specific. Here are a few of my favorite things that work well for my family and I hope they work well for yours.
- Life Choice Double Chocolate Protein Bars – Usually protein bars are very caloric. These are 190 calories for 21 grams of protein. That’s amazing. I always have one in my purse in case I get hungry. It prevents me from eating something impulsively with empty calories. They also prevent me from going crazy in the grocery store. They are decadent and taste like a candy bar. They are a great mid morning snack. They are available exclusively at Walmart.
- Jimmy Dean Breakfast Delights or Morning Star Sausage, Egg, & Cheese – Although I advocate eating clean, unprocessed foods, life often gets in the way. These breakfast sandwiches are great on the go. Either one of these is under 250 calories and the Morning Star is a vegetarian option. Both are high in protein so they’ll keep you fuller longer. These are available at any grocery store. They are high in sodium so if you need to watch your salt, be aware.
- Fish Oils – Most of you just rolled your eyes because you are tired of burping up fish taste. Well, that’s because with fish oils, you get what you pay for. I love anything by Nordic Naturals. They have strict purity controls so you don’t need to worry about heavy metals like mercury. They are also the freshest you can find. This means they are not rancid so you will not burp them up all day. And because they are not rancid, you get the full benefit of the oil. Fish oils are the number one supplement I recommend. If you can “taste” your fish oils, they’ve already gone bad. Nordic Naturals are available at Mustard Seed and I know Giant Eagle in Wadsworth also carries them. You can also order direct online.
- Kettle Worx or Ruthless – Either one of these DVD series is a great quick home work out. Kettle Worx is available online. The work outs are under 30 minutes. I love kettle bells. They are like a whole gym squeezed into one piece of equipment. Ruthless is a 20 minute workout. The DVD set is available at Walmart. It has 20 work outs is the DVD set. Some are brutal, some are not. Either way, do them to your own ability. Anyone can find 20 minutes in their day.
- Insert Name Here – By this I mean shop local. We buy eggs from local farmers (you would not believe the difference!). We get our beef from local farmers and have it processed locally. We also get our chicken directly from Gerber in Kidron, (800-362-7381, press selection for retail store). What most people don’t realize is that antimicrobial chemicals aren’t ingredients and therefor do not have to be listed on packaging. So when you buy meat in a store it has been treated with chemicals to prevent bacterial growth. When you buy direct, you skip this step. Gerber has a retail store where you can call ahead and order (we do 40 lbs at a time) and pick up. They even pack it in ice for you. It’s one big bag of fresh chicken breasts. We divide into portions of four when we get home and freeze. No chemicals! Plus, it is chicken that was killed that day. Take advantage of the availability of local fresh foods and visit farmers markets. Farm to table not only helps the local economy, it’s a very healthy way to eat.
So there you have it, a few of my favorite things that work well for my family. Hopefully, they will be helpful to yours as well! Dr. Lisa Herbert is in practice with her husband Dr. Joe at Wadsworth Chiropractic. They believe you are what you eat and that movement is essential to good health. For more information please visit the Facebook page of Wadsworth Chiropractic of go to wadsworthchiro.com