September 30, 2014

Medina
Mostly cloudy
62°F

‘Vaudeville’: Stage Left Theatre Company performs variety show fundraiser to benefit the local nonprofit

Vaudeville.jpg

By JOHN BENSON Special to The Gazette MEDINA — When times are tough, families come together to offer support and enjoy each other’s company. This simple idea is the driving force behind the nonprofit Stage Left Theatre Company’s debut fundraiser, “Vaudeville Revue,” which takes place Jan. 30 and 31 at the Drake Center for the Read More…

Breaking bread: Members of Brunswick club meet to share a love of loaves

Bread.jpg

By Kristen Nowak Winn Accent Editor The best thing since sliced bread? For a group of local amateur bakers, it’s having a community to share it with. Exchanging recipes and tips — and of course, tasting bread — form the bulk of the Brunswick Bread Bakers’ monthly meeting agendas, which were started by a Brunswick Read More…

Bounty of backyard art

By JOHN BENSON Special to The Gazette Picture-perfect photos are what naturalist Meredith Krajewski said the Medina County Park District’s annual Nature Photo Exhibit is all about. This year’s entries can be voted on from Jan. 17 to Feb. 19 at the Wolf Creek Environmental Center exhibit, with the winners being announced Feb. 20. “The Read More…

Master of metal: Medina artist designs sculptural furniture with an edgy, industrial look

Kevin.jpg

By Sandy Ciupak Special to The Gazette MEDINA — Inside the Busta Sheet Metal shop, an unobtrusive building on West Liberty Street, artist Kevin Busta takes a break from transforming industrial shelving material into a coffee table and offers his visitor a chair of sorts: a stool reminiscent of a tractor seat, complete with an Read More…

Winter walks: Hibernate? No way. Here’s where to take a hike in Northeast Ohio

By JOHN BENSON Special to The Gazette Take a hike. While most folks may agree to such an excursion during the warmer months, the truth is wintertime — despite the cold and the snow — offers nature lovers plenty of unique hiking experiences with various Northeast Ohio parks providing specialized programming. “I think as far Read More…

Community Connection: Former teacher deals with spinal injury

By Angela Huston Special to The Gazette Editor’s note: Today we’re introducing Community Connection, a new monthly feature that focuses on insights and stories of local individuals from all walks of life. MEDINA — On July 22, 2008, 61-year-old Vietnam veteran Al Barge and his wife, Brenda, found themselves facing a 180-degree change in their Read More…

Season of light: Grace Lutheran Church presents traditional Santa Lucia pageant

St. Lucia.jpg

By JUDY A. TOTTS Religion Editor WADSWORTH — With bells wildly jingling at the tips of their pointed red hats, the tomtes skipped and bounced down the main aisle of Grace Lutheran Church, shattering the Saturday morning quiet. Tomtes — you might describe them as the Swedish version of Christmas elves — are just the Read More…

Social Scene: Project: LEARN auctions literacy

By Angela Huston Special to The Gazette A Signature Event, the 2008 Project: LEARN autographed book auction, was held Nov. 14 in the Grand Ballroom at Weymouth Country Club. About 125 guests bid on more than 85 silent auction items and purchased tickets for wine and jewelry raffles as well as a wooden bookcase filled Read More…

Snapshots: I’m dreaming of a day to wrap presents in peace

Editor’s note: This is a revised version of a column that ran several years ago. By Judy A. Totts Editorial Staff “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know.” All right. I admit it. I love schmaltzy Christmas movies, the schmaltzier, the better. “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” “It’s a Read More…

Just in time for the holidays, these Brunswick Hills horses will take you dashing through the snow

Sleigh ride.jpg

By SANDY CIUPAK Special to The Gazette When it comes to an old-fashioned sleigh ride, those beloved Christ-mas songs really knew what they were talking about. The horse does know the way to follow the sleigh, and oh, what fun it is to ride!  For Medina County residents, a snowy trek over the river and Read More…