September 16, 2014

Medina
Fog
54°F

Social Scene: Habitat for Humanity opens a new door

By Angela Huston Special to The Gazette Nov. 2 was a beautiful day for Habitat for Humanity of Medina County’s Celebration of a Home. The Rev. Carlson Hall of Grace Baptist Church in Brunswick delivered an invocation, then several members of Habitat welcomed and thanked those who made this new Wadsworth home possible for Jami Read More…

Hinckley Township ballet dancer, 7, leaps into role in ‘The Nutcracker’

By JOHN BENSON Special to The Gazette A desire to dance is what Hinckley Township resident Terri Orban saw early on in her daughter Amanda, who is now a Hinckley Elementary School first-grader and student at the Christine Jones-Meneer School of Dance. “Amanda loves to dance,” Orban said. “In fact, her favorite show is ‘Dancing Read More…

Book it: Dying to discuss a great read? Join the club

By SANDRA FAHNING Special to The Gazette Like writing, reading can be a lonely pastime. It differs from attending a movie or concert by yourself in that there are others around to share in the enjoyment. You might converse with your neighbors about how good the film was or why it was a disappointing concert. Read More…

Time Frames: The whisper of frost

By Judy A. Totts Religion Editor You don’t hear much about Jack Frost in this day of double-hung windows. But the mythical artist who paints crystal landscapes on glass never failed to show up at our old house in Weymouth. Delicate fronds and wispy fantasy flowers silvered the windows and blocked my 6-year-old’s view of Read More…

Turning the Pages: Let’s talk turkey: Word origins of Thanksgiving favorites explored

By Sandra Fahning Special to The Gazette While enjoying a seafood dinner recently, my husband asked me if I knew why hush puppies are called hush puppies. I told him I didn’t have a clue. Because my curiosity was piqued and there are countless books and Web sites dedicated to words and phrases, I decided Read More…

Retired music teacher doesn’t miss a beat

By ANGELA HUSTON Special to The Gazette Jane Arlene Diamond Ross, director of music ministries at First Christian Church in Wadsworth, has been named Cambridge Who’s Who Professional of the Year in Music Education. While inclusion in Cambridge Who’s Who Registry is in itself an honor, only two male and two female members are annually Read More…

Snapshots: Public bathrooms flush away confidence in cleanliness

By Angela Huston Special to The Gazette Let me say right off the bat I consider public restrooms a necessary evil, even knowing there is no way a civilized society could even think about functioning without them. Still, I regard them with a jaundiced eye and enter only under conditions of duress. My restroom experiences Read More…

Taste of Medina County feeds proceeds to United Way

By Angela Huston Special to The Gazette The 18th annual Taste of Medina County on Oct. 16 combined 22 of the area’s finest restaurants with a host of people who were eager to taste their gourmet offerings of everything from delectable soups to decadent desserts at Weymouth Country Club. This year’s participating restaurants were Buehler’s Read More…

Time Frames: No batteries required for these older games

By Judy A. Totts Religion Editor There is a rhythm to children’s old games, from the invitation to pick up enough speed to break the chain of “Red Rover” to the ever-increasing tempo of the child walking the outer circle of “Duck, Duck, Goose.” On sidewalks or playgrounds, the jump rope scuffs the ground in Read More…

Jewelry artist raises awareness of Parkinson’s

By JOHN BENSON Special to The Gazette Westfield Township native Kathy Zweifel never considered herself an artist. A 1985 Cloverleaf High School and 1990 University of Akron graduate, Zweifel spent the past two decades working as a construction industry superintendent and project manager. However, that all changed a few years ago when she was diagnosed Read More…